New York jury votes to indict man who strangled NYC subway rider

A New York grand jury has indicted a former US Marine who was filmed placing a homeless man in a fatal chokehold on a subway train, reports say.

The decision comes after prosecutors last month charged Daniel Penny with second-degree manslaughter for killing street performer Jordan Neely.

The grand jury decision was necessary for prosecutors to formally charge Mr Penny, who is free on bail.

Mr Penny says he was acting in self-defence during the 1 May incident.

The decision to indict was made on Wednesday, US media reported citing unnamed police officials. A lawyer for Mr Neely’s family told CBS News, the BBC’s US partner, that the family had been informed of the grand jury’s decision.

The formal charging document is expected to be revealed at a later date. If found guilty of second-degree manslaughter, he could face up to 15 years in prison.

The 24-year-old former Marine was arrested on 12 May after initially being allowed by police to leave the scene of Mr Neely’s death. He was placed in handcuffs and led into a police station before being released on a $100,000 (£80,000) in-cash bail.

On Sunday, Mr Penny released a video on social media saying he did not intend to kill Mr Neely, a 30-year-old homeless man who was reportedly shouting at subway riders before the struggle began.